Our client is a well-established practice that’s looking for a Senior Architect to join their Sydney office.
The aim of this full-time, permanent role is to assist in the effective delivery of projects, either as project leader or project runner, in collaboration with wider teams. The role requires a demonstrated ability to work effectively, with focus, either individually or collaboratively in a team environment.
The right candidate will be a results-driven, tenacious, go getter to take on managing architectural projects, including to conservation and heritage advisory with opportunities to support business development.
They are a progressive practice and an employee ownership company that encourage input from all and support the development of peers. It’s an entrepreneurial job, with loads of responsibility and the freedom to deliver results.
You will be responsible for successful running of a range of projects, principally being refurbishment or alterations and additions to existing (heritage) buildings. Working on a wide range of projects including places of regeneration, infrastructure and public buildings, the role will assist the studio to evolve, and establish itself as a leading architectural and heritage consultancy practice in Australia. An interest in the activation of existing and heritage buildings and precincts is highly desired.
You will have a minimum 5 years professional experience working as a registered project architect in Australia, or a country with ARB mutual recognition program.
Key elements of the role include:
- Liaise with existing and potential clients, prepare fee proposals, consultant requests, variation claims, lead a consultant team, support project procurement and liaise with studio managers for consultant engagement and invoicing.
- Provision of heritage or design advice on existing or potential built form, including review and application of planning, heritage or building controls.
- Obtain instructions from clients (and in consultation with management as appropriate) to determine design, type, style and size of planned new buildings and/or repairs, alterations or additions to existing buildings, having regard to project budget and statutory planning, heritage and building controls and other considerations such as environmental footprint.
- Refine design and prepare project documentation, including sketches, visualisations and scale 2D and 3D digital drawing documentation and/or models, technical specifications and schedules, integrating and co-ordinating advice from internal team members and external specialist consultants, stages or packages.
- Preparing tender and contract documents (drawings, specifications, schedules) for use by clients, contract administrators, contractors or specialist trades to suit various industry standard procurement models.
- Support the delivery of projects on-site, either through the provision of technical advice or contract administrator.
Broadly, the role will require:
- Demonstrated ability in developing relationships with clients, new and existing;
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of proposals and bids for projects.
- Co-ordination of internal and external works packages and team members;
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects to a high standard, on time and to budget;
- Lead, produce, assist and review the production of design related information and reports, both written and graphic;
- Demonstrate excellent technical knowledge of conservation repair, refurbishment, alterations and additions, adaptive re-use and construction detailing;
- Demonstrate working knowledge of local planning, building, technical and design controls and processes;
- Proven ability to independently manage the delivery of services and projects;
- Experience in the provision of heritage advice to clients and team members, operating within relevant statutory and legislative frameworks
- Demonstrate excellent Revit-capabilities and knowledge of BIM (ideal).
OTHER AREAS THE POSITION WILL NEED TO COVER INCLUDE:
- Contribute to the development of a competent team
- Effectively communicate at all levels (internal & external)
- Excellent presentation skills (Visual, written & spoken)
- Experience of managing a team to a demanding programme within a large project structure.
- Manage the seamless running of architectural or heritage advisory projects to the highest standards
- Proven ability of leading, managing and developing individuals and teams
- Learn, apply and share the core expertise and specialisms of architectural conservation and adaptive re-use of existing buildings
- Contribute to project delivery, profitability and identifying improvements
- Contribute to internal professional development and knowledge base
- Contribute to winning work
- Strategic and conceptual thinker
- Commercial awareness / aptitude for business management
- Ability to organise and plan – analytical skills.
The role also involves supporting the management and delivery of all types of projects located in south-east Australia and is integral to the development and management of client relationships. The position has excellent potential for supported career development and provides an opportunity to mentor other team members, and for mentoring across their international practice.